Many of my small business clients think they have no idea how to market themselves or their business. While they may lack the acumen to execute the perfect tactics, there are tenants of great marketing that anyone can easily learn and follow.
Off the top of my head, here are some to get you started. Please share your ideas for this list!
- Take risks.
- Learn everyday.
- Choose the best medium for their audience.
- Highlight benefits over features.
- Are relevant and timely.
- Do things that are DIFFERENT.
- Borrow from others (but don't hedge on #6).
- Craft strategy first; then tactics.
- Are consistent without being predictable (just like leaders).
- Keep it simple whenever possible.
- Find great partners to help in areas of shortcoming (or amplify #2).
- Seek inspiration from unusual sources.
- Harness technology.
- Did I mention, be DIFFERENT?